Chick-Fil-A Employee Jumps Through Drive-Thru Window to Save Choking Boy
If anyone deserves a raise, it’s this guy.
*Featured image contains photo by Jace Miller
Can you remember the last time you went through a fast food drive-thru? It was likely uneventful, even boring, the worst part being the wait. However, this routine stop at a Georgia Chick-Fil-A was anything but.
Shortly after the lunch rush on one unassuming Monday afternoon in Columbus, Georiga, Zack “Cowboy” Kokenzie quite literally sprung into action when he heard some alarming cries coming from a vehicle in the drive-thru line.
How One Chick-Fil-A Employee Saved a Life
According to the branch’s Facebook page, “The cries were coming from an SUV just outside the drive thru window [and] a father was seen rushing to the back of his SUV.”
Luckily for everyone involved, the man behind the window when this all occurred was Columbus High School graduate and Eagle Scout, Zack “Cowboy” Kokenzie.
Zack earned the nickname “Cowboy” for nearly breaking his finger while riding a horse that tried to buck him off, and has gained a reputation among those who know him for remaining calm in high stress situations. This was all put to the test when he heard those cries.
Kokenzie followed the panicked cries, and noticed what seemed to be a father and another customer attempting to free a child in the backseat of a vehicle. The seat belt appeared to be wrapped around the child’s windpipe, and they were unable to breathe.
Kokenzie jumped into action. Another customer had left his vehicle and was trying unsuccessfully to assist the father in removing the seat belt by reaching through the back window. Fellow team member Zachary Bullock passed a pair of scissors through the window and Zack “Cowboy” Kokenzie calmly walked over to the rear of the vehicle and cut through the seatbelt in seconds, freeing the child.
“This could have been far worse, but Zack and others were in the right place, with the right training and the right attitude to potentially save the life of one of our customers,” said Alex Vann, the restaurant’s owner and operator wrote on the company’s Facebook page. “We are glad everyone is all right.”
How One Chick-Fil-A Employee Proved Not All Heroes Wear Capes
In a bizarre stance of coincidence enough, this is not the first time a Chick-Fil-A employee specifically has saved a choking child. In 2019, 19-year-old Chick-fil-A manger, Logan Simmons, was hailed a hero after he leaped through the drive-thru window to save a boy who was choking.
In that case, a seatbelt was also wrapped around the child’s neck, which Logan cut free using a pocketknife. We’re not sure what it is about Chick-Fil-A, but they seem to have the right personnel to navigate life-saving situations in the drive-thru line.
In both eerily similar instances, the young employees were justifiably hailed as heroes, possessing a calm demeanor that many might not have maintained in that same situation. Though just kids in the eyes of many, these heroes are truly deserving of the praise.
You never know when you might need to jump into action, and these two were ready, with a heroic bravery and lifesaving quick-thinking.