Close Ad

She Was Worth the Wait: Family Welcomes the First Baby Girl in Over a Century
Michigan Family Welcomes First Baby Girl in Over 100 Years
Family

She Was Worth the Wait: Family Welcomes the First Baby Girl in Over a Century

She was long overdue.

When it comes to having a baby girl the odds are usually 50-50. Unless you're a part of this Michigan family. Then, the odds are about 1 in a million (give or take).

For over a century, the Clark family has only welcomed boys. The last time a baby girl was born into the family was 138 years ago.


That is, until now.

The Gender Reveal Party

gender reveal party
Andrew & Carolyn Clark|Facebook

Andrew Clark comes from a long line of male-dominated births, dating back to his great-great-grandfather.

So when he started dating his now-wife, Carolyn, he warned her about the long-standing tradition, telling her, "Oh, we don't have girls. Legitimately, we have not had a girl in our direct line in over 100 years."

Challenge accepted.

With the odds stacked against her the size of Mount Everest, Carolyn was determined to end the daughter drought.

Not surprisingly, their first child was a boy, Cameron, who is now 4 years old.

After suffering a miscarriage, the couple learned they were expecting again. "We honestly didn't care if we were having a boy or girl at this point," Carolyn told GMA. "We just were thankful to be pregnant and just praying for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby."

RELATED:Parents Refuse to Take Newborn Baby Home With Them and Abandon Him at Hospital – One Nurse Takes Him in as Her Own

In September, family and friends gathered together for a gender reveal party. They were each given a cookie containing either blue or pink frosting. Everyone assumed it would be blue.

It wasn't. It was pink. The Clarks were finally having a girl.

The response to the baby news? Shock and awe. And a whole lot of jumping and screaming.

"We kept it a secret to ourselves as well. So I just assumed it was going to be blue in the center of the cookies and it'd be another boy in the lineage," Andrew shared. "I was shocked. I think I just stared at the center of that cookie like, it's really pink. So it was a good surprise for us."

Birth of Baby Girl Breaks a Century-Long Tradition

three women holding pink drinks in their hands
Photo by RODNAE Productions

Even with confirmation from their doctor, the Clarks still couldn't quite believe their luck. Throughout the pregnancy, they were plagued with doubts.

“I think every ultrasound she was like, 'Double check that it's a girl. I don't believe in it,'" Andrew said.

Well, turns out, it was a girl. Audrey Marie Clark was born on March 17 — St. Patrick's Day — with the luck of the Irish clearly on her side.

Weighing in at 6 pounds 8 ounces, Audrey is a healthy bundle of joy and the family couldn't be more thrilled.

“It was just joy, you know, just that she was here and healthy," said Carolyn. “It made it even more special that it was a girl because it was like, you were worth the wait and all the struggles.”

What Are the Odds?

While the Clarks are certainly an anomaly, the scales are actually slightly tipped in favor of having a boy, according to science.

The World Health Organization reports that there is a 51% chance of having a boy and a 49% chance of having a girl.

Researchers from Newcastle University in England believe that this might be due to a gene that controls the balance of X- and Y-carrying sperm.

After studying more than 927 family trees dating back to the 1600s, they discovered that the sex ratio for families followed the father's side, not the mother's side.

RELATED:Compassionate 12-Year-Old Girl Irons Together Old Bags of Chips to Provide Blankets for the Homeless

"Men inherit a tendency to have more sons or more daughters from their parents. This means that a man with many brothers is more likely to have sons, while a man with many sisters is more likely to have daughters."

In other words, it's all in the father's genes. Men carrying a gene that leads to their sperm having more Y chromosomes have more sons.

It seems to be the case in the Clark family.

Boy or girl, the Clarks, like all parents, are just happy to have a healthy baby. The fact that they were the ones to finally break the 138-year streak is "icing on the cake."

But even so, they may want to start buying lottery tickets. Seems the odds are in their favor.

Hot Stories

Little boy at the altar with bride and groom and a couple carrying a little boy.

Boy Stuns Stepdad-to-be at the Altar With Adoption Papers

YouTube/ Happily

Sometimes you can find family when you’re not even looking for it. And sometimes, your chosen family or blended family can be better than you ever imagined. That’s why one story of a son running up and interrupting his mom’s nuptials to his soon-to-be stepdad is making the internet weepy.

Keep ReadingShow less
Uplifting News
Group of girls laughing and a text message from a young woman's mother.

Woman's Maternal Intuition Saves Her Daughter's Life

Pexels/ cottonbro studio and TikTok/ @mara.lynnny

We all have an inner voice. Call it a sixth sense, or intuition, or your conscience, or gut instinct. Something that nudges us to do something or say something we wouldn’t normally do.

For one mom, this inner voice manifested as a sudden and overwhelming sense of dread for her daughter's safety. And her maternal intuition? Ended up saving her daughter's life.

Keep ReadingShow less
Uplifting News