Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith – Find That Drive
Will and Jada Smith’s inspirational interview with Oprah where they explain why they don’t tell their kids what they should do and how instead they are motivating them to find their own inner drive.
– [Voiceover] Yeah.
– Right, so, you lose all ‘Cause I said so, you know, that’s what it is. When you’re in that survival generation, you tend to lose–
– Yeah, which is how I was raised.
– Right, we all were.
– We all were raised that way, and you tend to lose the humanity and the purpose of why you’re working so hard in the first place.
– That’s right, and why you actually have children.
– Right, absolutely.
– Not just to make them do what you want them to do.
– [Will] Absolutely. So, you know, it’s like with Trey and his football, and Willow is singing, and Jaden acting, I just want them to live in service to greatness. I want them to live and to create in a way that when people see it, people are inspired, and people become better just by having contact with the things–
– With their excellence.
– [Will] With their excellence.
– But they have to be able to define that for themselves. And that’s the thing. We can’t define that–
– [Will] Therein lies the rub.
– That’s right. Because we might have a vision for what we see. But at the end of the day, Jaden has to have his own vision, Willow has to have her own vision, and so does Trey. And so we are there to help inspire and facilitate their vision. Because in order to reach the type of excellence in which Will is talking about, you have to reach inside yourself to find that drive. Nobody can put that drive in you. So you have to inspire the individual to find and focus on the goal that they want for themselves.