Short & Sweet: 15 Little Quotes About Love
Brevity is the soul of wit. It can be the best way to express love, too.
There’s a reason so many stores have whole walls of shelves devoted to romantic greeting cards: people love when other people express emotions well. And when someone else has perfectly expressed the feelings you have for that special someone, why not let their words speak for you?
Sharing a touching, deep love quote is a great way to share how you feel about someone even when you often have trouble finding the right words yourself. Short love quotes can say more in a few words than you might have been able to express in a half hour of rambling. And don’t worry about sharing love quotes coming across as though you’re not expressing your own feelings or not putting in the effort to find your own words. Most people will actually appreciate the effort you put in to find the best love quotes rather than thinking less of the words because they come from someone else. When you share a love quote, you true love will hear what you mean through the words of another.
And what’s more, not only can relationship quotes help you express yourself more clearly to your partner (or your crush), but sometimes love quotes can even help you more fully understand your own feelings for the other person and for your relationship. When someone else’s words put into words that which before you had only felt, not clearly thought through and understood, a great short love quote can be a so-called “lightbulb moment” for you.
Here are 15 short but profound love quotes that just might touch both of your hearts.
1. “Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color.”
This perfect short poem by the late W.S. Merwin expresses in fewer than 20 words the depths of true love. There may be no better poem ever penned in the English language to share with your partner when the two of you must be apart for a while.
2. “There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.”
George Sand was the pen name of Amantine-Lucile-Aurore Dudevant, a 19th century French novelist. There is a power to reading this quote believing it was uttered by a man and then realizing it comes from a woman – that power is the fact that love does not care at all about gender, it just cares about people
3. “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
This cute but also subtly profound love quote from A. A. Milne expresses a longing to spend as many years as possible with your loved one.
At the same time, it allows for that deep fear that truly falling in love can create: the fear of spending even one day apart from your person.
4. “Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning.”
To this quote from Paul Coelho, you could add your own ending: “That’s what you did for me.”
5. “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.”
Audrey Hepburn’s short quote is perfect for partners, but is also one that can be shared with family and friends and still ring true.
6. “Silence has a voice. I know this because it screams when you are away.”
This quote comes from poet Tyler Knott Gregson who has made a name for himself as a social media poet powerhouse and who is also an outspoken advocate for people like himself who are on the autism spectrum. His words ring as true for neurotypical people, of course, again showing that love is love, it’s as simple as that.
7. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.”
This powerful love quote is attributed to Aristotle. We may never know if it’s an apocryphal attribution, given the 2,300 or so years that separate our time from his, but frankly, who cares?
The words land upright regardless.
8. “A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.”
This quote from Ingrid Bergman is ironically about not sharing any more words, but it’s still a great one to share, perhaps right before a kiss as you fall in love.
9. “To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.”
That glowing feeling that shared love can give you? That’s what David Viscott was talking about with this quote.
10. “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”
This could be from a collection boyfriend or girlfriend quotes from a few years ago, but in fact it was written by Emily Brontë in “Wuthering Heights,” which was publishing in 1847.
11. “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
It’s true what Lao Tzu said, for giving your love to someone makes you vulnerable, but in so giving love and trust, you also display bravery.
12. “Love is when he gives you a piece of your soul, that you never knew was missing.”
This Torquato Tasso quote is spot on: we don’t know we are missing the love of our partner before we have it, but we know we’d ever feel its absence if it were gone.
13. “I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.”
If you find someone who makes you your best someone, then you have found true love, that’s what Roy Croft is saying here. And he’s right.
14. “Chemistry is you touching my arm and setting fire to my mind.”
We all know the feeling Nayyirah Waheed is speaking of here, and we all want to feel it again and again – with a true love, we will.
15. “I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I’ll never love you any less than I do, right this second.”
In 25 words, this quote from Kami Garcia can fully affirm the depths of your feelings for that special person in your life.